A Short History of St. George's, Devon

In 1947, oil was discovered in the Leduc area. The town of Devon was founded in order to accommodate the workers in the oil fields. St. George's church began the next year, 1948. The first services were held in private homes. As the congregation grew, services were held first in the primary school and then in the community hall. In February 1949, the first rector was appointed, the Ven. C.F. Clough. He remained in Devon until May 1954. The Ladies Guild was started in 1950. In 1951, services were held in a bunkhouse on the Braun Construction site. The same building was purchased in 1952 and moved onto two lots that had been acquired from the town of Devon for a nominal sum. The Ladies Guild then became very busy raising money to purchase pews and a piano. Donations were received for the various furnishings and equipment that the church needed. Prayer books were donated by Christ Church, Edmonton.

In May 1954, the Rev. D. Jones became the rector and remained until May, 1957. Just before he left St. George's, the old building was dedicated. The old building was meant to be a temporary measure only. However, with fluctuating membership and uncertainty about the future of the town, it was not until 1978 that the need for a larger building was felt. Meanwhile, several rectors served at St. George's. They included the Ven. V. P. Cole from October 1957 to September 1964; the Rev. C. B. Rodgers from September 1964 to September 1968; and the Ven. C.B. Dawkins from September, 1968 to August, 1978.

By 1978, the town of Devon had grown considerably. New housing had been built for families not associated with the oil industry. This caused considerable growth in the congregation as well. In 1978, a committee was formed to look at the possibilities of a new church or alternate arrangements. Serious plans were started in 1980 as the congregation was rapidly outgrowing the old temporary building. The lack of facilities for the church school was especially notable. Meanwhile, the Rev. P. B. Heritage was the rector from September 1978 to August 1980.

Plans progressed for a new building. In the meantime, Sunday services were held in the Riverview school, beginning in May, 1981. The decision to go ahead with a new building was made after many meetings and much prayer. The final service was held in the old building on August 15, 1983. On August 24, there was a sod turning ceremony for the new building on the same land as the old. On August 29, 1983, the old building was torn down. Construction began on the new church. The first service was held in the new building on December 24, 1983, at 7:30 P.M. The Rt. Rev. E. Kent Clarke and the Rev. Brian Shoesmith celebrated the first Eucharist. There were one hundred people present. In the next few years, the final finishing was done by the congregation.

In September 1985, the Rev. Michael Warren became the rector. By 1990, the mortgage was paid off, and the church was consecrated on September 30. Michael moved to Fort McLeod in March 1994, and the Rev. Marilyn McClung became the rector in October 1994.

Over the years, several unique traditions have developed that are distinctive to St. George's, such as baptismal cakes. The King's Breakfast, the visit of St. Nicholas and a service of Advent Lessons and Carols. We give thanks for the many members of the congregation over the years who have faithfully given of their time, labour and money to make this church what it is.